Frequently Asked Questions
As part of the next steps in Manitoba’s economic recovery, the Province of Manitoba, the Manitoba Chambers of Commerce and Economic Development Winnipeg launched Retrain Manitoba. The $12.5 million program is a grant for businesses. They can be reimbursed up to $2500 per employee for any retraining and upskilling required to keep up with the changing needs of business.
How are applications handled?
- Applications will be processed on a first-come, first serve basis.
- All applications must be submitted by March 31, 2022, end of day.
- Upon application, businesses agree to the programs’ terms and conditions, including further review of an application for assurance purposes.
- Funds will be disbursed on a weekly basis or once program funds have been exhausted, whichever occurs first.
Who is eligible to apply?
Any business, of any size that is:
- A Manitoba-based, active and registered business with a valid Manitoba business number.
- In good standing with the Manitoba Companies Office.
- A business account holder with a Canadian financial institution, with the account name associated with the Manitoba business number provided.
- Able to provide an active email address and phone number to maintain communications with the program.
Who is not eligible to apply?
- Businesses that do not have a valid and active Manitoba business number.
- Businesses that are not in good standing or registered with the Manitoba Companies Office.
- Businesses that were in arrears for taxes owing on March 20, 2020 which have not yet been rectified. This does not include businesses that have deferred tax remittances incurred between Apr-Sep 2020 and Jan-May 2021.
- Businesses that receive more than 50% of their funding from the Province of Manitoba or have government-appointed boards.
Who is an eligible training participant?
- Employees who live and work in Manitoba.
- Employees who are legally entitled to work in Canada (i.e. Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person with refugee protection in Canada).
- Any employee regardless of employment status (full-time, part-time, contract or temporary)
How much funding can a business apply for?
The maximum amount a business can apply for is $2500 CAD per employee up to a maximum of $75,000 per company. This can be spread over time for multiple courses and across a series of separate applications. There is no limit on businesses for how many course applications they can submit as long as they can provide payment receipts for course registrations.
What costs are eligible for funding?
- Funding can be applied to a range of courses including in-person, online and industry-recognized courses by third- party trainers.
- Tuition fees or fees charged by an external training provider.
- Mandatory participant fees.
- Course examination fees.
Does a business have to be a member of the Manitoba Chambers of Commerce to be eligible to apply for Retrain Manitoba?
No. However, you are welcome to become a member of the Manitoba Chambers of Commerce. You will be joining a powerful network of 68 local chambers throughout the province, representing almost 10,000 businesses and organizations.
Visit Manitoba Chambers of Commerce for information on the benefits of membership.
Are not-for-profits & charities registered in Manitoba eligible for funding?
Yes, if they have an active Business Number and are in good standing with the Manitoba Companies Office.
Can I apply for funding for more than one training course for my employee(s)?
Yes. The maximum cumulative amount an employer can apply for is $2500 CAD per employee up to a maxmium of $75,000 per company. This can be spread over time for multiple courses and across a series of separate applications.
Can the employer stack other provincial & federal programs with the Retrain Manitoba grant?
Yes, you can stack Retrain Manitoba with other grants and loans, provided they don’t violate any terms of your existing funding. Businesses already receiving the Canada-Manitoba Job Grant or other provincial funding for training are not eligible to apply for the same training.
Visit the YES! Winnipeg Talent Hub for more information.
When can businesses apply for funding?
This grant program is not a cash advance. The company must have already paid for the employee’s course(s) with a start date between April 1, 2021–August 31, 2022 prior to requesting for reimbursement through the program. They must upload proof of course registration with payment receipt for each application request.*
*We encourage you to submit reimbursement application request(s) as soon as you have obtained proof of course registration with payment receipt. Requests will be processed in the order of which they are received by the deadline of March 31, 2022 or until program funds have been exhausted, whichever occurs first.
Education & training
Who can deliver the training? Where can I find training?
Training must be provided by a third-party trainer and can be delivered at the workplace, online or in a classroom or training facility. YES! Winnipeg has a catalogue of public and private post-secondary institutions in Manitoba to assist you in finding courses. This catalogue is not an exhaustive listing. Any course which is industry-recognized and deemed necessary by the employer for its workforce to be successful is eligible for program funding.
Visit our Education & Training catalogue
Are wages for my employees participating in training eligible for funding?
Are travel expenses incurred by my employees participating in training eligible for funding?
Are expenses for internal training delivered by a company employee eligible for funding?
No. Training must be provided by a third-party trainer which can be delivered at the workplace, online or in a classroom or training facility.
Are training courses outside of Manitoba eligible?
Yes. Funding is applicable to a range of in-person and online, industry-recognized training courses provided by a third- party trainer taught in and outside of Manitoba. Be advised that the program does not reimburse for any travel costs incurred by the employee.
How are program funds disbursed?
The business is responsible for sourcing and paying the third-party trainer and must provide proof of course registration with payment receipt to be reimbursed by Retrain Manitoba. Applications and funds will be processed in Canadian dollars by Economic Development Winnipeg on a weekly basis. The cutoff time for weekly application submissions is Tuesday, 11:59 p.m. CST, with the goal of having funds in a company’s account by Friday. If an employee registered for training is unable to attend the course or the course is cancelled, the company is immediately required to fully reimburse Economic Development Winnipeg for the funds. We will inform our accounting team of the changes in your application status. You can also make arrangements to have another employee attend, if the course is still set to start.
Contact us if you need to reimburse the funds.
I am having difficultly uploading files for my banking information or proof of course registration with payment receipt.
You can only upload one image file for each instance. Ensure that your file is in jpg, png, gif format. The maximum image file size is 8 MB.
The course I paid for my employee is in US dollars (USD), how do I calculate to Canadian dollars (CAD) when applying for funding?
Any incoming applications throughout the current month of November will be based on the exchange rate as at November 1, 2021 which is 0.80833 USD per 1 CAD. This rate will be updated to reflect the first of every month going forward.
Example: You paid $275 USD for the course and currently submitting an application for reimbursement. [$275 USD ÷ 0.80833 = $340.21 CAD] You would enter $340.21 into the data field for “Course Fees.”
Important dates & deadlines
- Applications and funds are processed on a weekly basis with a disbursement date of Friday. To be included in the weekly batch, employers must submit Employee Course Application(s) by Tuesday, 11:59 PM CST for a disbursement date of Friday*.
- Retroactive and applicable for courses the employer has paid for from April 1, 2021 to March 31, 2022 at 11:59 PM CST..
- Valid for course start dates from April 1, 2021 to August 31, 2022 at 11:59 PM CST.
- Application deadline is March 31, 2022 or until the program has been fully expended.
*Any applications submitted after the cutoff time will be reviewed in the following week’s batch.
How we can help
- We can assist you with application questions or concerns.
- We can introduce you to our intelligent job matching tools that save you time while amplifying your reach to suitable job seekers. Our tools and resources are available to you at no cost!
- We can connect you with information about training delivered by third-party service providers.
- We are knowledgable about other available workforce development programs and services (i.e. grant stacking).
For information about how to apply for Retrain Manitoba:
Workforce Skills Development Program Manager